Windows 10 has been the most popular desktop operating system around the world for a decade. It is preferred over MacOS and Linus by millions of people. This is due to the availability, work efficacy and diversity of Windows devices, that too for under $600. It\’s easier to operate while also being smooth for gaming, built-in features and so much more.
However, it is a default for most but not everyone is aware of how to use it to its full potential. If you want to improve your security and secure your outgoing traffic. Microsoft has done a lot to strengthen the security of its operating system since Windows 10 launched in 2015. Using a VPN makes your internet connection unidentified, secure and can even give you the advantage of making Windows 10 faster than before.
Install VPN on Windows
The most convenient way to get VPN up and running on your Windows 10 device is to simply download your VPN\’s app from the Microsoft Store and install it, just like other devices. It is also the best way to use that VPN app\’s extra in-built features like ad-blocking and automatically switching to the fastest servers.
If you don’t already have a VPN selected for use with your Windows PC, take a look at articles dedicated to listing the best VPNs on the market today.
Before setting up your VPN in Windows 10 keep these factors in mind
Even though you are relying on Windows 10 to manage your connection to a VPN. Still, you have to choose which VPN service to connect to. The service you choose will determine the servers you intend to connect to. No matter which service you choose, keep an eye out for any red flags that might indicate a not so private service.
While enabling VPN, you will opt which type of protocol your VPN uses by selecting it from a list. What you choose determines the strength of your encryption. There are various protocols used by VPNs, and any VPN you choose will use one of them. The four most common are PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, SSTP and OpenVPN.
Download the Installer
These steps are practically applied to any VPN of your choice. Download the installer through your web browser. Click Save As to save the installer to your desktop. Proceed to put the VPN software package on your PC.
Install VPN Software
1. Once the installer download completes, click it and select Run as administrator.
2. A command prompt box appears. It will extract and install the needed items for the VPN software on your Windows 10 device.
3. Enable permission and click the Install button.
4. Right-click on the VPN icon in the system tray, at the bottom right in your Windows 10 taskbar.
5. Go to VPN software and select Settings. Click the Advanced button.
6. Either pick your connection location or use Auto.
7. Select the protocol settings, click the Save button.
8. Finally connect by clicking on the icon in the taskbar to connect via a VPN.
How to enable built-in VPN on Windows
Another option is using Windows 10\’s built-in VPN client. It may sound complicated, but the process takes about 15 to 20 minutes and can be categorized into two main components:
- Creating a VPN profile
- Then connecting to the VPN.
Follow these steps to enable built in VPN on Windows 10.
Create a profile in the Windows 10 VPN client
1. Right-click the Start button and go to Settings (gear icon).
2. Next, select Network & Internet
3. Go to VPN from the connection options.
3. Select Add a VPN connection.
4. A configuration screen appears. In VPN provider dropdown menu, select the built-in option.
5. Type out the name to give this VPN connection.
6. Type the actual address of the server you want to connect to. It looks similar to a website URL.
7. In the VPN type dropdown, choose a protocol from the list.
8. Select the Username and password for your VPN profile. Make sure the box is checked to Remember my sign-in info.
9. This VPN connection will appear in the list in Network and Settings. Select it and hit Connect.
Now have greater control over your connection and you don\’t have to deal with a potentially bulky piece of software constantly running in the background.
Here you go!! Enjoy surfing anonymously through Internet.
Also Read: How to access Tumblr archive